Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Whole Wheat Pitas


(I promise this will be the last pita post this week. Try them. You'll get addicted, too.)

I secretly prefer the taste of white bread, even though I always make wheat.

Pitas are the exception. While white pitas are good, I definitely prefer whole wheat pitas.

This whole wheat pita recipe uses 1 part whole wheat flour to 2 parts all purpose flour. If you want a fully whole wheat pita, you would need to add gluten to the ingredients. (I haven't figured out exactly what gluten is...let alone found it in the store yet)



Whole Wheat Pitas (8 whole pitas, 3 hours)

1 1/4 c warm water
1 tsp honey
1/4 c oil (extra virgin olive oil adds the most flavor)
2 c bread flour (all-purpose can be used)
1 c whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt

**If you have a bread machine, put all ingredients into bread machine in order listed. Use the dough cycle. Then skip to Step 3.**

1. In large bowl, combine yeast, honey, and 1/2 c warm water. Let sit for 5 min until foamy. Stir in oil, salt, and remaining water. Gradually mix in flour until a dough forms. Knead 8-10 min until you have a smooth, elastic ball.
2. Place dough in bowl, lightly oil the top, and cover with a kitchen towel. Set in a warm place to rise for about 1 hour, until almost doubled.
3. Punch down dough and divide into 8 balls. On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a 6-7 inch circle. As you roll out dough, place rounds on lightly floured surface and cover with a towel. Let rise for about 30 minutes, until slightly puffy. (They will still be thin) While rising, preheat oven to 500.

4. Place 2-3 rounds at a time, side-by-side, on a cooling wire rack. Bake for 5 minutes or until puffy.
5. Remove from oven and wrap breads in a damp kitchen towel to keep them soft. Allow breads to completely cool.

Notes:
*Pitas can be refrigerated in a ziploc bag for 2-3 days.
*I have only done this recipe with a bread machine - if you try it by hand, let me know!
*This recipe can be halved with great results.
There's some indescribable innate satisfaction in making your own pitas...makes me feel like a pioneer or something like that.

VERDICT:

Cost: Storemade: $2.98 for 6, Homemade: $0.50 for 8

Overall:
I will now be making whole wheat pitas instead of white pitas. These were delightfully soft and chewy, yet wholesome. As with the white pitas, they are much cheaper and higher quality than storemade pitas. There really is no comparison when it comes to taste. Of course, storemade pitas are convenient and I'm sure I'll still buy them occasionally. Now I just need to try freezing these!

And yes, the whole wheat ones puff up in the oven just like white ones.

My inspiration: epicurious.com recipe significantly modified directions

Today's Lesson: Always remember to put the blade back on the bread machine. It doesn't work without it. (Yup, had the dough cycle running and randomly noticed the blade sitting on the counter)

2 comments:

  1. These look so good! I've never cooked with whole wheat four before, but this looks like the perfect recipe to begin with. I've definately enjoyed looking at your pita recipes and look forward to trying them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought whole wheat flour so now I will be trying your whole wheat recipes. We'll see how the family likes wheat vs. white.

    ReplyDelete