Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Rhubarb Bread


(I know they don't sell rhubarb bread in stores. I just enjoy this recipe so much that I have to share it.)

I want to grow rhubarb in our yard.

Andy says we need to grow grass first.

Thankfully, my mom has an over-abundance of it. She gave me a bagful - and her rhubarb bread recipe.


She always made the best rhubarb bread. I hated rhubarb until I tried it in her bread.

P.S. Did you know rhubarb is a vegetable??? I always thought it was a fruit.


Rhubarb Bread (2 large loaves, 80 min total)

Batter:
1 1/2 c diced rhubarb
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
2/3 c oil
1 c sour milk (1 c milk + 1 TB vinegar)
1 egg
2 1/2 c flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla

Topping:
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 TB butter

1. Preheat oven to 325. Sprinkle 1 c sugar over rhubarb and set aside while making the rest of the batter.
2. In large bowl, mix brown sugar, oil, sour milk, and egg. Add flour, salt, soda, and vanilla. Mix well. Fold in sugared rhubarb.
3. Pour batter into two 9x5 greased and floured bread pans.
4. Cut butter into sugar and cinnamon for topping. Sprinkle on top of batter. Bake for 55-60 min.
Notes:
*Optional to add 1/2 c walnuts
*If using mini loaf pans, bake for 50-55 min.

VERDICT:
Cost: Homemade cost me $1.08 to make two loaves. Most storemade quick bread mixes cost about $1, but only make 1 loaf.
Overall:
This bread is delicious. It is an incredibly moist bread with a crunchy topping. It has the perfect balance of sharp rhubarb and sweet sugar. I think I'll be making this bread every year now... I just need to grow some rhubarb of my own!

My inspiration: An old recipe card of my Mom's, listing Sandra Geilfuss as the creator
This recipe is linked to more rhubarb recipes at Tammy's Recipes In-Season Recipe Swap

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing yours/your mom's recipe! :) Family favorites are the BEST! :D Your photos are beautiful, as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to try this! The school secretary overheard that I love rhubarb, so now I'm set up for life! Now I have someone else donating their rhubarb to me! I am so lucky!

    ReplyDelete