Saturday, May 9, 2009

Taco Seasoning


Folded-over, half-empty packets of taco seasoning.

I used to find them all over my pantry, often hard as a rock from sitting behind the oatmeal for two months.

Not anymore!

I've been making my own taco seasoning for a few months now.

VERDICT:
Cost: .75 at the store, .20 at home
Overall:
This tastes just like the packets of taco seasoning. It's cheap and easy, especially when made in bulk. I often cook only 1/2 lb of ground beef, which makes homemade seasoning even more practical. No more half-empty packets sitting in the pantry!
Most packets of taco seasoning also contain MSG (monosodium glutamate), a controversial additive known to trigger migraines. By making it at home, I don't have to worry about buying a brand without MSG.

Taco Seasoning (makes equal to 1 oz or one packet, which seasons 1 lb of meat)

1 TB chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp paprika
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

For taco meat:
Cook taco meat. Mix spices in cup or small bowl. Drain taco meat. Add spices to meat. Stir in 1/2 TB cornstarch or flour and 2/3 c water. Simmer until thickened.

Notes:
*To save time, make the seasoning in bulk and store in an airtight container. Use 2 1/2 - 3 TB for each pound of meat.


My inspiration

2 comments:

  1. Wow!!! I never thought of making taco seasoning. I'm going to try it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed when I read your comment about the half folded over packets of taco seasoning. I am the same way, except they are hidden in my utensil drawer. That's what happens when you are only feeding a couple people. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete