Monday, May 4, 2009

Waffle Showdown Part 1: Whole Grain Waffles


Whole grains.

I'm trying, I really am.

I think we need to compromise.

Oatmeal, popcorn, a scoop of flaxseed or wheat germ here and there are all great.

But replacing all purpose flour with whole wheat flour is totally different territory. Generally, I've done it in moderation. Instead of 2 c of all purpose flour, we use 1 c all purpose and 1 c whole wheat.

I'm happy with that.

So I crossed the line last night and made whole grain waffles. I LOVE Kashi whole grain waffles, so I was hoping for something similar. I used a recipe with great ratings.

VERDICT:
Cost: Home
Convenience: Store
Taste: Store
Health: Home
Overall:
Kashi wins. There's a reason they hire professionals to make whole grains taste good. These homemade waffles were light and airy, but tasted like cardboard. I even tried adding cinnamon and diced apples. I ate a couple and threw the rest away. Maybe I did something wrong? If I ever feel adventurous and try this recipe again, I'd take out some of the flaxseed. The recipe had great reviews, so try at your own risk. Otherwise we have our first store-made winner: Kashi waffles!
(Note: I put chocolate chips in Anna's waffle - she ate it without hesitation. But lately she's a bottomless pit. I'm not sure she tastes food anymore.)


Whole Grain Waffles (12 squares waffles, 15 min)

2 eggs, beaten
1 3/4 c milk
1/4 c canola oil
1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla
1 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c flax seed meal
1/4 c wheat germ
1/4 c all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 TB sugar
1/4 tsp salt

1. Whisk together eggs, milk, oil, applesauce, and vanilla.
2. Add remaining ingredients. Beat until smooth.
3. Preheat waffle iron. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Pour in batter. Cook until crisp and brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment