Thursday, May 21, 2009

Buffalo Chicken Fingers



Chicken fingers, strips, tenders, nuggets.

I'm sure I'm missing another name for cut-up chicken.

It doesn't matter what you call it. Put some breading on it, and my husband is happy.

These are his favorite homemade chicken fingers.

Or chicken strips?

Either way, they help dull his weekly (daily?) urge for fast food.


Buffalo Chicken Fingers (4 servings, 30 min)

Nonstick cooking spray
3/4 c crushed corn flakes
3/4 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 eggs
2-3 TB cayenne pepper sauce (aka hot sauce)
1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken breast tenderloins (about 3 breasts' worth)

1. Preheat oven to 425. Line baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine crushed corn flakes, seasoned salt, and pepper in bowl or large bag. In separate bowl, whisk together eggs and hot sauce.
3. Dip chicken in egg mixture; coat with corn flake mixture. Place chicken on baking sheet. Spray chicken with nonstick spray. Bake 20 min or until golden and cooked through.

Notes:
*To save money, I don't buy the tenderloins. I cut up regular boneless chicken breast.
*Can be served with chunky blue cheese salad dressing for dipping
*Adjust hot sauce to your tastes

VERDICT:

Cost: (for 4 servings)
Fast Food: $12.00
Storemade: $5.99
Homemade: $3.49
Overall:
Homemade wins. These are a regular at our house. They were the first meat that Anna ever willingly ate! They are crispy, yet the chicken stays tender. The hot sauce and seasoned salt adds a kick which trumps other homemade chicken strips.
We used to go through at least a storemade bag of chicken a week, which put a serious dent in the grocery budget. These are a much better bargain. Plus, I like knowing that I'm eating actual chicken breast rather than ribmeat and other strangely textured bites that pop up in bags of chicken.

My inspiration: adapted from Kraft Foods magazine recipe

2 comments:

  1. This looks like a great recipe to keep on hand for football season! They would be great for a SuperBowl party. Okay, so I'm definately not going to be able to wait that long to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried this today and I loved the crunchy texture. I went with 4tbs of hot sauce because i like spicy foods. still a bit mild for my tastes. i suggest if you like hot hot chicken to go with more hot sauce or choose your hot sauce accordingly. very good starting point for me. thanks a bunch

    ReplyDelete